|Owner:||Vereniging De Zaansche Molen|
|Location:||Zaanse Schans, Kalverringdijk 29, 1509 BT Zaandam|
On January 11, 1646, a gentlemen named Adriaan Gerritsz. van Someren was granted a windcontract (a kind of government permit for catching the wind), the building permit for his dye mill De Kat along the Kalverringdijk.
The mill caught fire in 1782 but was restored shortly afterwards. It was to take another century before the mill was demolished to the level of the gallery in 1904.
Following restoration around 1960, the mill was originally used for sifting sawdust. It then became a dye mill as well as being used for grinding chalk.
De Kat specializes in manufacturing paints and making high-quality paint. Countless artists from home and abroad know how to find the way to De Kat. Also many museums, from the Rembrandt House to the Vatican museum, take the special pigments.
More info: Click here